Lifting Spirits with Life-Saving Matches

This fall, our Guidehouse team is proud to celebrate bone marrow registry hero and creator of Shrink the Gap, Eva Bugg! Eva led her Shrink the Gap team to a resounding success with an August 29 event to raise awareness about the discrepancy in the bone marrow registry (White patients have a 77% chance of finding a match whereas Black patients have a 23% chance) and inspire action around registering as a life-saving bone marrow donor. Eva’s virtual entertainment event lasted 4.5 hours and attracted almost 4,000 viewers. Even more importantly, it raised close to $3,000 and resulted in 11 people ordering a swab kit to begin their journey towards bone marrow donorship. Eva’s event featured 11 people of color performing, including a special guest appearance by Miss America 2019, Nia Franklin.

If you would like to order a kit directly, you can text 61474 and click the link that you receive. Joining the registry is simple: order your kit, swab your cheeks with the provided Q-tips, fill out an online questionnaire, and mail your cheek swabs back to to Be the Match. This will allow you to join the bone marrow registry, meaning you could become someone's life-saving match! The more people in the registry, the greater the chances of survival for patients with similar racial and ethnic backgrounds. Keep in mind, becoming a match is rare. If you are a match, it is like winning the lottery. 

Back to top