The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change warns that the global average temperature will increase by 1.5 degrees centigrade by the end of the decade. At the same time, the effects of climate change will be unevenly distributed, which is projected to trigger climate-related risks to health, livelihoods, food security, water supply, human security, and economic growth.
State and local governments are in a unique position; they govern and administer many of the factors that directly or indirectly contribute to greenhouse gas emissions, such as land use, energy, and transportation. But state and local governments are also frustrated by their role as just one stakeholder in an ecosystem that also includes peer public sector entities, public and private utilities, the private sector, and the multitude of individual decisions and choices.
Guidehouse helps state and local governments in understanding the business case for action on climate change mitigation and their role in the ecosystem of stakeholders, identifying the points of maximum leverage, and developing strategies to reduce carbon in the community.
Guidehouse’s range of experience covers the following topics:
- Climate change policy, climate action plans, and science-based mitigation planning
- Low-carbon economic transformation and green growth strategies
- Clean technology portfolio analysis, and marginal abatement cost curve construction
- Community choice aggregation design and setup
- Transportation and vehicle electrification strategies
- Cross-departmental and cross-sectoral organizational design and change management to address climate issues
Latest From Create Climate-Smart Communities Decoupled from Carbon
October 12, 2021 Case StudyBuilding a Zero-Emission Medium and Heavy Duty Vehicle Economy in New JerseyGuidehouse supported the New Jersey Economic Development Authority's efforts to accelerate ZEV adoption while ensuring environmental justice and equity
Guidehouse helps organizations start or advance their journeys, delivering benefits for the environment and people, aligned with your financial objectives