Developing Europe’s Hydrogen Infrastructure Plan

Guidehouse supports 11 European gas companies in launching a cost-effective hydrogen transport infrastructure plan

A week after the European Commission published its Hydrogen Strategy, highlighting the need to create a dedicated hydrogen pipeline network, a group of 11 European gas infrastructure companies from nine EU member states announced a plan for a dedicated hydrogen transport infrastructure. 

In partnership with the gas infrastructure companies, Guidehouse launched the European Hydrogen Backbone plan, a report that shows how existing European gas infrastructure can be modified to transport hydrogen at an affordable cost. The report was discussed in a coordinating webinar, available for replay below.

The report illustrates a gradual hydrogen pipeline network expected emerge around the mid-2020s. By 2040, the experts foresee a hydrogen network of 23,000 km, 75% of which will consist of converted natural gas pipelines, connected by new pipeline stretches that account for the other 25%. Costs are estimated between €27 billion and €64 billion and the plan is expected to ultimately produce two parallel gas transport networks: a dedicated hydrogen network and a dedicated (bio)methane network.

The consortium consists of Enagás, Energinet, Fluxys Belgium, Gasunie, GRTgaz, NET4GAS, OGE, ONTRAS, Snam, Swedegas, and Teréga, and invites other European gas infrastructure companies to help further develop the plan. 

Webinar Replay

Download the European Hydrogen Backbone Report Plan

About the Experts

Back to top